1. Get Visual: Bring photos that clearly show examples of the shapes and colors that you’re looking for. The more photos, the better. Don’t be afraid to get specific regarding the way you want the hair to fall around your face and the shape of the fringe (if any) that you would like. If you don’t have a photo, use iconic public figures. Example: Marilyn Monroe’s golden curls; Betty Page’s heavy bangs; Joan Jett’s shaggy layers, etc.
2. Use Your Hands: When discussing length speak to your Stylist through the mirror and use your fingers to show them exactly how much length you want keep. Remember, your idea of “an inch” may be different than your Stylist’s so showing them visually with your hands will give them a more accurate idea of what you’re looking for.
3. Remember Your Natural Texture: Thanks to modern technology, it’s easy to temporarily change hair texture through flat irons, curling irons, etc. Make sure to let your Stylist know what your natural texture is and how often you manipulate it to ensure they give you a haircut that will be appropriate for all the textures you tend to wear. Don’t forget to tell your Stylist if you change your part (sometimes on the side, sometimes in the middle, etc).
4. Remember Your Lifestyle: Whether you’re a busy Mom needing a low maintenance wash-and-go haircut or someone who takes the time to wear different textures and styles, it’s important to let your Stylist know how you need your haircut to fit in with your lifestyle and the time you’re willing to spend on your hair.
5. Trust Your Stylist: Once you have the basics of length, shape, and color down, it’s time to ask your Stylist what he or she feels would be best for your face and personal style as her or she professionally trained to take all of these things into account. Many times we see haircuts and color that look great on others but aren’t actually appropriate for our face, hair texture, density, personal style, and lifestyle.
Following these tips will help you leave the salon looking and feeling great about your new look.
To book an appointment for beautiful haircuts and color, contact Cristiano Cora Studio at 212.414.1333.